Sunday, June 26, 2011

Episodes 83-84: The Pen is Mightier Than the Mouth/My Part-Time Wife

A two-part episode in which Sally takes a leave of absence to become a regular on the "Stevie Parsons Show" (even without the similarity in names, Stevie would be recognizable as an imitation of Johnny Carson)*; and Laura joins the staff as a typist and sometime contributor of material -- much to Rob's dismay.

(*Update: A blog reader pointed out that "Stevie Parsons" is actually a reference to the first three hosts of the Tonight Show: Steve Allen, Jack Paar, and Johnny Carson).

Quotes:
---
Sally: “Oh, now wait a minute, Rob, she didn’t know I was gonna do this.”

Rob: “Yeah? How’s come she answered the phone, then?”

Buddy: “Maybe it rang.”
---
Rob: “All right, that does it!”

Laura: “What’s the matter?”

Rob: “Are you trying to make me mad? Are you trying to make me mad?”


Laura: “What is it?”

Rob: “That was a perfect kiss!”
---
Laura: “To keep from causing you any further annoyance, I want you to know that I’m fired!”

Rob: “You can’t fire, I quit ya!”

2 comments:

  1. I've just stumbled across your site, and am enjoying reading your comments on the great DVD Show.

    You probably know this already, but Stevie Parsons wouldn't be meant to imitate just Johnny Carson. He'd be an amalgam of every Tonight Show host up to that point in time: Steve Allen, Jack Paar, and Johnny Carson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justjack -- I can't believe I didn't make that connection from the name "Stevie Parsons", but I didn't. Thanks for pointing it out. Though Allen and Paar were a bit before my time, I know of Paar's "I kid you not", parodied in this episode, and Allen's propensity for silliness such as Stevie Parsons' "caw, caw".

    ReplyDelete